Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Matter of Trust by Lis Wiehl with April Henry

I was looking for an entertaining book and A Matter of Trust by Lis Wiehl with April Henry certainly fit the bill.  The main character, Mia Quinn is a Seattle prosecutor and is talking with a colleague on the phone one evening only to be horrified to hear a shot ring out and hear no response from her friend.  Mia is then given her colleague's murder case to solve, along with the help of a police detective with whom she has an unpleasant history.

The book is fast-paced and fairly well written.  I found the plot line a little confusing at times but maybe that is just because it is a murder mystery and the author wants the reader to be in the dark a little.  I enjoyed the inevitable twist at the end.

I felt that a few of the minor story lines were not well developed and either should have been given more time or else left out entirely as they were a distraction.  However, I note that this is the first book of the series so perhaps some of those story lines will be teased out in later books.  I also didn't think that the main character was always believable or even as well developed as she could have been. 

I thought this book was pretty good and I read through it quickly so if you are looking for a beach read for the summer, I would recommend it.  If you are looking for something with more character development or something to really think about, I would keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment