Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reckless Faith

I got suckered in by the bargain table. I picked up two books and a cd for $15. Little did I know that the books were going to stir up thoughts that are always swirling just below the surface for me. Reckless Faith by Beth Guckenberger was a quick read but a thought-provoking one.

Beth and her husband Todd live in Monterrey, Mexico. They serve orphans and are parenting nine children, with a combination of biological, foster and adopted children. The book is not so much a memoir as a collection of stories about moments in Beth's life that impacted her greatly and led her to where she is now, a missionary in a poor area of Mexico to the "least of these".

Each chapter focused on a person and situation that were keystone events in her life, even if they were as simple as a short interaction with a blind person. She elaborated through sharing her experiences how she feels her faith has become reckless, willing to trust God and follow His leading, even if it doesn't seem to make much sense.

My favorite chapter was titled "Joel". Edgar leads a children's home that Beth's organization works with. One day, he has no food to feed the children. So he gathers them to pray. One little boy, Joel, asks Edgar what food God is going to bring, if maybe God will bring them meat? That same day, a man named Carlos flies into town and calls Beth. He has a surplus of the product he brought to town to sell and is giving it away if she knows of anyone who needs it. She thinks of Edgar and calls him. He asks what it is and she replies, "It's high end cuts of meat, steaks, beef and pork." Of course it is.

This book spoke to me because I have always had a heart for children, particularly children with special needs, without parents, in search of love. I felt challenged to do more with that desire than just think about it now and then. I'm not sure what that looks like...but I want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment